Blurb

Thoughts, lessons, and theology from an eclectic witch from a varied background.

Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Practical Witchery: Depression witchcraft (aka low impact exercises)

 Dear Reader,

If you follow my Instagram account, you see that I have a lot of pics of the different styles I'm trying to make work with my new hair style. This relates to the topic today, I promise. When you're dealing with depression, you have to know your triggers. One of my triggers is being cold. Since I shaved most of my head and gotten a faux hawk back last September, my head gets cold pretty fast. I have been pretty cold today because of the arctic weather we've been having. I finally figured out a way to make this blue and gold pashmina work for a nice warm wrap that kept my head warm. It didn't boost my mood but it made it easier to bear things for most of the day.

Depression is hard to cope with on a 'good' day. It's equally challenging when the ideal conditions are in place for a potential good day. When you feel like giving up on everything and/or just sleeping for forever, you can't recognize the cues for that 'good' day. A low energy, low mood day wrecks havoc on your plans, especially if you wanted to do something magically related.

It is important to remember that the High Ones meet us where we are at. If we're too depressed to sit down and do a big, formal ritual, they understand that. Sometimes, all we can do is light a candle and pray for the depression to pass and ask for them to help us endure our ordeal. On the days that lighting a candle is too much, simply asking for help is enough. You can also tell them what's going on with you. That may not sound like magic but it is. It's a very simple form of magic where you give them your troubles. It doesn't instantly make them vanish, but you are no longer carrying that burden on your own. It makes it more likely for you to recognize the synchronous events that will help you endure the depression until it lifts.

Among the low impact magical exercises that I do when I am depressed are:

  1. A self blessing and cleansing as I bathe

  2. Dedicating acts of self-care to the High Ones

  3. Lighting a candle and asking the High Ones to keep me in their care

  4. Making a point to meditate (or at least try to meditate) for a few minutes on the good things in my life (this attunes your spirit to these things and makes it easier for you to notice them)

  5. Reciting prayers for health and wellness

No comments:

Post a Comment