Blurb

Thoughts, lessons, and theology from an eclectic witch from a varied background.

Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Veiled Witch's Charity Work: Hat's for Preemies

Dear Reader,

I've been doing this charity project for a while now. In the picture to the right, is a doll with some history and it is important to this project. I was born premature. I weighed one pound, eleven ounces and given 50/50 chance of living. It was a scary time for my family. The charity and kindness of our community helped in many ways.

I began making hats for the preemies at a local hospital two years ago. I started doing it for two reasons. First as a way to give back and thank these people for my life. Second to honor these tiny babies who are fighting for their own lives.

Annie is the doll that my parents purchased so that I had clothes to wear. The very dress she is wearing in this pic is one that I had worn myself so many years ago. I use her as a test model for the hats I am making for the babies that are about the size I was. For the smaller babies, I have a darning egg that is approximately the size of their heads. It sounds odd that a darning egg would be the size of an infant's head but these micro-preemies have heads that can be described as the size of lemons.

If you decide to start making these hats for your local NICU, remember they are going to want hats made from acrylic yarn because it will be easy to clean and it is hypoallergenic for the most part. The sizes the babies head range from that of a large orange/small grapefruit to that of a moderately sized apple and all the way down to the size of a lemon.

(In addition to the preemie hats, this year I have started making scarves for the homeless as well.)

No comments:

Post a Comment