Blurb

Thoughts, lessons, and theology from an eclectic witch from a varied background.

Sunday, June 28, 2020

Godspousery Notes: Virtual Hof.

Dear Reader,

Some may have the luxury of a sacred space where they may pour out offerings to the gods. Just as I have created a virtual chapel for Déa, there is a virtual Hof for the Norse gods. I created it at Heimdall's urging. He said that it would be easier than trying to make a secret physical one where I could pour out blots to the gods. Now, if you're familiar with the old stories, there is a bit of animosity between Heimdall and Loki. So, this discussion surprised me. Heimdall said to me that I was one of the souls that would build it with out any animosity or favoritism towards any god. He pointed out the relatively smooth relationship going on between Loki, Freyr, and I as an example that I don't play favorites or demonize anyone.

So, at his urging, I put together something simple. It wasn't like the chapel for Déa. And is it nothing like what is in Uppsala.  There is a wooded place with a maze that leads you to the center where a clearing awaits you. At the center of the clearing is a cairn of stones and a bowl. When I am cooking, I go to this place. I pour the blood from the meat I am handling over the stones and ask that it feed the gods, ancestors, and wights who love my family. (Virgin blood is blood that hasn't been used for another purpose before.) Now, the physical blood is poured into the pot I am going to be cooking with. I consider it to be the leavings of my offering and something that we can consume with some touch of their blessings upon us.

When I place an offering of coffee on the altar or water, I do the same thing. I project myself to that place and pour it over the cairn. This is a new practice, within the last few weeks new, and I'm not sure how the results will be different from just dedicating the offering and placing it on the altar. One thing about the path to the clearing is that whatever path you take will lead you there, revealing things that you need to know as you get there. And the path out of the clearing will be equally revealing. Like if your offering was received with pleasure or if the ancestors have a message for you.

Before I go into my trance and do this work, I make sure that I wash my hands and face. It cleans off the extra energy that could taint my offering or my perception of the sacred location.

No comments:

Post a Comment