Blurb

Thoughts, lessons, and theology from an eclectic witch from a varied background.

Friday, November 6, 2020

NaBloPoMo 6: Cord Magic II

 Dear Reader,

In my last post, I mentioned a number of forms of cord magic that went beyond simply tying knots in a string. Today, I want to share with you my favorite forms of cord magic. Top of the list is spinning. Spinning yarn or thread is a labor intensive process with many steps. You can skip some of the steps and buy roving that is already dyed and prepared, but it is still a lot of work. The cool thing about spinning is the fact that it is a process that goes into antiquity. Modern spinning wheels are not too different from the ancient ones, except for those nifty e-spinners. (I've been thinking about possibly getting one but they're a bit out of my price range right now.) And if you really want to go back to the roots of spinning, get yourself a spindle.

This art is steeped in history and the form of magic that goes with it is equally so. Also, spinning can be a very relaxing, if not literally entrancing form of handcraft. When I am spinning with intention, I have not only the item I plan on making from the yarn or thread in mind but what the end goal of the item involved will be. For example, I spun some fine thread with the intention of it being a protection charm. I kept that focus as I plied the yarn and then fashioned it into a cord for the protection charm that I made to go on. As a result, troubles missed their target and I honestly believe that an attempted curse was averted given the description of what happened from the recipient of the protection charm.

My second favorite form of cord magic is crochet. Number one, you get to use a hook as a wand to direct your energy into the yarn. That's fun. Number two, crochet is the process of making knots with a hook to make a fabric. (A single crochet stitch is the same as a slip knot. All other crochet stitches are a variations off of this.) I use crochet to make healing shawls and blankets to help people who have difficulty sleeping. I also use it to make protection and health enspelled hats for preemie babies. (I've made SO many hats.)

Crochet is a highly versatile fiber art. You can make anything with it. Slippers and socks to hats to high couture garments and art pieces. (If you do crochet and want to make something cool, start with a round of 6 stitches and double the number of stitches every round. You'll wind up with a hyperbolic plane that looks like a bit of coral.) As with spinning, you put your intention into each stitch and part of the process. In the end, you have a magically charged item that can be used for quite a while before the spell wears off.

No comments:

Post a Comment