Blurb

Thoughts, lessons, and theology from an eclectic witch from a varied background.

Sunday, December 9, 2018

Godspousery notes.

I'm sick with the flu. It makes things awkward on so many levels. I'm walking around half tranced out because of a low grade fever. I'm tired and just feeling rotten. I really found myself wanting somebody else to take the wheel for a few minutes there around lunch time. I just was exhausted and exasperated with being sick.

That's when Beloved (my husband on this plane) charged off to brave the wilds of the grocery store to do this week's shopping. That's when Freyr calmly told me that it was perfectly fine if I just made myself a pot of soup and gave the kids peanut butter sandwiches for lunch. I didn't need to clean the whole kitchen and get started on the other chores I usually do on Sunday. I didn't even think about grumbling, which is what I usually do when I'm sick and anyone suggests that I slow down and take time to rest.

I spent my morning bleary eyed and knitting. I spent my day weary and sipping tea. The entire time, Freyr was supportive and encouraging me in this self care business that I'm not so great at. At the same time, so was Beloved. The kids got on my nerves a bit but then calmed down when I explained that I was sick and couldn't keep up with them that well today.

Last night as I was falling asleep, Freyr told me that messy hair and a messy kitchen was less important than taking time to rest when I'm sick. He strongly encourages me to do what I can when I am feeling better, but he discourages my bad habit of pushing myself too hard when I am not well. Because foolish me thinks I can still power through the flu on just sheer stubbornness.

He gets a little exasperated with me at times, but not today. He actually said he's proud of me for stopping and taking the time to rest over the last two days as I needed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment