Blurb

Thoughts, lessons, and theology from an eclectic witch from a varied background.

Thursday, October 1, 2020

Line edits are driving me batty.

 Dear Reader,

I have the rough draft of the Clear Recital up on the editing block. I'm working to make the language easier to read and fix grammatical issues. It is slow going. There's a ton of comma splices and sentence fragments. I've been breaking things out of the prose that need to be put into different structure to make it easier to read (i.e. lists of attributes). I have mashed together all of the sources I could get my hands on and made a mess of the grammar in the process.

I'm almost finished with my second round of line edits. The first one was really rough and putting in sentence/verse numbers. I found mistakes in that and corrected them. The hardest section to work on wasn't the Holy Mythos, which I thought it would be. Nope, it was the Pillar of Light and the Heart of Water. It's a literal coin flip which one of those two texts was harder to edit.

Now, I'm not removing material from the wisdom texts. I'm changing phrasing and fixing things like run on sentences that last for over three lines. There's a lot of run on sentences. I am also updating some of the language because there are random bits with dated language that got carried over from the Aristasian version of the Clear Recital which I had to fix so it fit with the rest of the text.

There is two sections in the wisdom texts that I am adapting to reflect the modern social structures that we're living with. I have zero guilt about doing this because it is my understanding that the Clear Recital is a living document that must change and adapt with the changes and adaptations that happen for the community that references it. For example, there is very few households who can actually afford servants or staff of any sort. It's slow going, to be honest, because I have to make sure that the 'modernization' of the text is accurate. 


Note: If I see another sentence spliced together with a comma, I may just scream. There's just SO many.

No comments:

Post a Comment