Blurb

Thoughts, lessons, and theology from an eclectic witch from a varied background.

Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Herbs, tools, & treasures: House plants.

 Dear Reader,

This week's subject line is a bit vague. That is because I am covering a broad topic that I have only recently gotten into studying. Almost every witch or nature enthusiast is going to have houseplants. They're lovely to look at. They clean the air of our homes. And tending them can be great for your stress levels. 

There's a lot to recommend indoor gardening (as Beloved calls it) as a hobby. It is, however, very important to keep in mind that many popular indoor plants are not safe for children or pets (or anybody) to consume. I'll give you an example. I currently have a Kalanchoe that looks fabulous. It is one of the most toxic plants that I own. When they're in flower, the toxic compounds of the plant are concentrated most in the blossoms. If you have a pet that likes to nibble on green things, this can kill them deader than a door nail. Kalanchoe poisoning causes stomach cramps, vomiting, and heart failure. If someone or something gets into the plant, you have about 24 hours before it's lethal. Beautiful plant with jade green leaves, very easy to take care of and propagate, and absolutely toxic.

If you have plants in your home that you're not sure are toxic to your family or pets, you should investigate them before you put them at a level where they can get at them. It was only by pure luck that I stopped my son (when he was a toddler and thought all things green equal lettuce) from eating a leaf off of my Golden Pothos. This could have made him extremely sick and put him into the hospital. Since then, I have my plants hanging and have taught my kids that the plants that they eat are the ones that we give them out of the fridge or from the garden. It was a scary moment when I learned later just how sick my 3 yo son could have been.

Now, when I look into purchasing houseplants, I don't just look up how to care for them but also how toxic they are. This determines where I put them and if I allow my children access to them. Some of my plants, if the stems are broken, will exude a sap that can cause an allergic reaction. So, I handle the watering of those plants while the boys handle the watering of the ones that are safer. It is a bit of extra work to find out if that pretty plant in the grocery store is safe but it is completely worth it to prevent a hospital trip or worse.

I love my houseplants and they make me very happy. At the same time, I handle them with care and respect for the potential danger that comes with them. It is funny, to be honest, 98% of the plants in my apartment are somehow toxic where as 98% of the plants growing out in the garden are edible. I think I somehow got it backwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment