Blurb

Thoughts, lessons, and theology from an eclectic witch from a varied background.

Monday, September 20, 2021

Divination: Rune study - Cen

 Dear Reader,

First, please forgive my misspelling of the translation of the name of this rune. I was half awake as I was making these cards and for some reason put an 'a' into the word torch. I've misplaced my white-out pen, so the 'typo' stands as it is. The name of this rune is Cen or Kenaz. It typically is translated at meaning a torch and is associated with the letter 'k'. 

The Icelandic and Norwegian rune poems refer to this rune as an ulcer. This leads to many scholars suspecting that this is the older meaning of the rune. The Wikipedia entry regarding this rune shows that it actually has multiple variants in the Elder Futhork, the Younger Futhork, and the Anglo-Saxon Futhork alphabets. The version that is depicted on the card I am holding is the eldest version of this rune.

It is one of the runes that I, personally, associated with the god Loki. Particularly via the star known as Loki's torch, also known as Sirius. I hold to the interpretation of this rune as that of fire in a controlled environment when in a direct orientation. When the rune appears in an indirect orientation, it speaks of fire that is uncontrolled. Fire can be figurative and speak of passions, anger, or lust. Fire can be transformative and a force for radical change. It can also be destructive and cause for great grief.

I have yet to have this rune pop up in a reading indicating an ulcer or wound upon the body or spirit. I presume that the direct orientation of this rune under that meaning would indicate a minor injury and an indirect orientation would speak of a more severe injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment