Blurb

Thoughts, lessons, and theology from an eclectic witch from a varied background.

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Moura Eve (Or the art of finding joy in misery)

Today is Moura Eve. That is the beginning of the Filianic fifth season often equated with Christian Lent. This would be the day of celebrations like what would be seen on Mardi Gras, a time of luxury before the time of stricture that comes over the next month. I wish I could say that the time since Nativity to today has been full of joy and celebration. It, sadly, has been one of much difficulty and illness.

Still, I was determined to at least do something that would make others have a bit of joy today. Thus, I have spent a good portion of my day today indulging my children's whimsies and spoiling them with sweets. Their delight in this treatment has made me smile and given me a bit of joy for myself. I haven't felt well and today has been a day where my illness has made things difficult. Still, I strive to treat things moment by moment and seek happiness in those moments.

It is fleeting happiness that vanishes like a soap bubble, but in those moments, I have felt well and joyful. I have decided that I am going to focus on the moment of joy rather than the dull, leaden sorrow that weighs me down. I have to remind myself at times that my goal is progress and not perfection. There is little else that can emphasize the importance of that goal than how it changes the way I cope with my disability and illness.

A person once said that cracks are what lets the sunlight in. I'm trying to look for that sunlight and hold on to the hope it brings. I sincerely hope that Moura Eve is a time of joy for all who observe it.

May you be blessed in all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment