Blurb

Thoughts, lessons, and theology from an eclectic witch from a varied background.

Sunday, January 28, 2018

Godspousery Notes: You DON'T want to do that.

Dear Reader,

I fell about two weeks ago. I slipped off of the icy front steps (the bottom one, to be precise) and landed on the snow shovel. Luckily, I was wearing my heavy denim jacket and I did not break anything or get a bad cut. Because I landed on the thing on my back. This is relevant to this weekend's post.

I have a bad habit. Well, I have several, but the one that I'm specifically noting here is my bad habit to insist I can function at full capacity when I can not. Usually, this is an issue when I am sick. (And I get my proverbial chain jerked for it then, too.) I am stubborn and feel duty bound to do ALL THE THINGS. This gets to be a point of contention between myself, Beloved, and the gods. I generally don't win those arguments because they out number me and have logic on their side 9000% of the time.

This bad habit has been getting me into trouble of late. I'm pretty sure I bruised a rib in that fall. When I think about pushing myself too hard, Flame-Hair will nudge me in it. It is very uncomfortable. He has few qualms about making a point by making me very uncomfortable in pretty much all senses of the word. This weekend, I over did it with groceries. Beloved was awesome and understanding - even as he rolled his eyes and said "Well, dear, maybe you shouldn't have done that, eh?" when I said my side hurt from carrying stuff.

When I went to go take a nap post groceries, I was all ready to lay on my right side to fall asleep. And then Loki poked me. Nothing malicious, just a tiny poke. More like a light press, but I felt it none the less. So, I tried to nap on my left side, where I'm not injured. I wasn't successful because my side kept throbbing. As I lay there, trying to rest, Freyr sat beside me and gave me suggestions for what yoga stretches could help with that stiffness and aching. Somewhere, I'm sure Loki was whistling innocently and plotting his next poke to make me pay attention to my limits, or very exasperated and drinking some mead to ignore my stubborn insistence I was fine because the daily PAIN had gone away. Quite possibly both, now that I think about it.

Fast forward to today. I did my yoga in the morning and was thankful that the stretching helped. Later, I found my stomach was super upset. Who was it that said firmly "Soup. Soup fixes that.", why it was Loki. He sat himself at my kitchen table and insisted I needed soup and that the recipe I was considering was going to work better with zucchini noodles instead of butternut squash noodles. He was right on both counts, and looking for some soup for himself. So, we had some soup and I conceeded the point on the noodles. 

Somewhere in the last two weeks, I forget what day precisely it was, Freyja showed up for a visit. And not long after, Loki showed up in female guise. Which was confusing until I saw that trademark smirk. In both cases, there was a great deal of affection and many suggestions for how to manage the mundane things stressing me out. (And those suggestions like switching back to a mostly vegetarian diet for my stomach issues and trying to approach my frustrations with the kids as though they were students in my classroom have been amazingly helpful.) They both made clear that visits like that were going to happen in the future. I'm a little intimidated by it, but, at the same time, I'm happy for it because I had been feeling somewhat lonely of late for reasons I can't fully place. Their company was greatly appreciated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment