Blurb

Thoughts, lessons, and theology from an eclectic witch from a varied background.

Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Pagan Parenting: Daily Offerings.

Gentle Reader,

My eldest child has developed a deep and abiding affection for Zeus. He admires him greatly and I suspect that the affection is returned from the King of the Greek pantheon. Every time he's asked for rain, it's happened. Though, if a harpy eagle shows up, I'm chasing it off with a stick because my boy is 10 and no where near ready for a grand adventure like that. Still, I have encouraged this relationship because I am of the mind that personal relationships with deities can be good and healthy things.

We've graduated from talking to Zeus and learning the old stories about him to giving daily offerings. We started out with something simple, a cup of water and a chocolate chip cookie. (I asked why the cookie and Cuddle Bear insisted that it was because chocolate chip cookies are awesome and why wouldn't Zeus want one? Hard to argue with that logic.) Small daily offerings are expressions of appreciation and honor for the deities and spirit companions we have.

The boys regularly talk to Mani in the evening asking him to help them have good dreams. They get excited when they see the sun and the moon, calling out hello to Sunna and Mani. I'm going to start introducing them to the other gods of the Greek pantheon. So, Mani and Sunna's joyful greetings may also be joined with greetings to Selene and Helios.

The youngest is still very of the mind set to share toys on the altar (they go on the altar over night and then they get to have them back in the morning) but beginning to take interest in the stuff his brother is. I think it is about time to give my eldest child his own magical notebook. A part of me says it should be something fancy. The rest of me says I should get a straight forward sketch book that he can add drawings to and use it to keep his notes in. Either way, I want him to have something to record his own magical adventures in. I have a feeling in a few years, I'll be doing the same for the youngest.

No comments:

Post a Comment