Blurb

Thoughts, lessons, and theology from an eclectic witch from a varied background.

Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Spinning Magic (2/3)

Me and my current spinning project.
In my previous post, I gave a quick overview of spinning magic. Today, I will give some examples of how I use spinning in my magical work. As I mentioned, the process of spinning intention into your thread is rather simple. Just focus on your intention and do your spinning as you envision the intention's energy being drawn into the thread along with the kinetic energy of the spindle's motion. This drawing in of energy adds twist to your fiber and keeps it from coming apart.

After adding twist to your fiber and making your single thread, you wind it off into skein. This is another opportunity to add another layer of intention. The skein is then soaked with water and weighted to set the twist. Yep, as you may have guessed, you can soak intention into the single with your water if you have blessed it or are using some water that you have magically charged. After this, you allow your skein to dry out and if you choose you can use it as it is. Or, you can wind it up into a ball and twist it together with another ball of yarn in a process called plying. Add more intention in the plying process, repeat the wetting and drying process with more intention, and in the end you have a very magically potent yarn.

This yarn can then be used to make magically charged items. If you are making a poppet of someone and you are going through the whole process of spinning yarn that you then knit or crochet into a doll, you can include a length of their hair in the spinning to incorporate their energy into your work. You can also make what most spinners would term 'art yarn' with things like feathers, crystal beads, and shells included in it. It is a labor intensive process, but it makes for a witch's ladder that is unlike the braided variety.

I don't make 'art yarn' because I find it difficult with a drop spindle. I'm not yet brave enough to try it on my spinning wheel because I'm still learning to use the thing. That said, I have used magically charged yarn to make wedding cords for marriages I have officiated which help bind the pair getting married together. I have used magically charged yarns to make bags to hold charmed objects and spell components. I have used magically charged yarns to make prayer shawls for healing as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment