Blurb

Thoughts, lessons, and theology from an eclectic witch from a varied background.

Friday, February 1, 2019

Veiled Witch Video 21: Imposter Syndrome



This is not a transcript. My video was very impromptu and my blurting out the best I could what I had to say before I lost my nerve. I have been struggling for the past month or so with imposter syndrome. My anxiety and other things mashed themselves together into a real whopper of a case of imposter syndrome. I hate imposter syndrome because it tells me that I'm not good enough, that I'm not smart enough, and that no matter how hard I work, it will never really count.

I am a person who has had the curious fortune of being in therapy for most of their adult life due to past trauma experienced. A good amount of that trauma leads me to question myself really hard about some of the dumbest things. I will have days where I question if I am a passable cook while I'm making instant macaroni and cheese. It's awkward and aggravating to have imposter syndrome to that degree. Fortunately, therapy has helped me develop some tools for coping with imposter syndrome.

First, keeping a journal has been really helpful. It allows me to record the doubts and other related thoughts that come up with imposter syndrome. Then I can go back and challenge them when I am feeling more centered and sure of myself.  Secondly, I can force myself through the relatively minor bouts of imposter syndrome by basically telling 'scumbag brain' to shut up and let me work. It's not the best solution but it can be just enough to keep the worst of it off long enough so I can finish something. Third, I keep evidence of my accomplishments around where I can see them. I've got a photo from my college graduation nearby. It reminds me that I am actually pretty smart. I have a list of affirmations that I came up with that reminds me I am competent.

If none of those work, it never hurts to say to someone you trust, "Look, I'm feeling pretty low and like I'm a fraud here. Can you help me figure out just how I am not awful?" Nine times out of ten, they'll be happy to give you examples and encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment