Blurb

Thoughts, lessons, and theology from an eclectic witch from a varied background.

Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Vintage Veiling: Shaker Style Bonnet pattern review

I set out to make the Shaker Style Bonnet pattern from an online vintage crochet library. The pattern dates to the 1950s, as best I can tell. It wasn't entirely clear what kind of yarn it required in modern style yarn. The brand it referenced is off the market and I don't know what weight it was. I set out with my sport weight yarn and the size F hook it called for.

The end result was something that would have fit a toddler. The picture featured a grown adult. I ripped it out and started over again with some adjustments. I used a size H hook. My starting chain was 18 stitches long, not 9. I single crochet down the first side of the starting chain until I reached the last stitch. There, I worked five single crochet into that stitch and worked my way down the back of the chain. From this point on, I worked in rows. Row two was single crochet down to the first of the five stitches I made in the end, work an increase, work three stitches, work an increase, and then single crochet to the end of the row. Row three was single crochet down to the increase. Work another increase.

Work one single crochet, increase, single crochet, increase, another single crochet, followed by an increase in what would have been the increase on the opposite side of that turn. After this, I did single crochet down to the end of my row. Row four was single crochet two stitches, work an increase; then work two more single crochet in the next two stitches and followed by an increase in the third stitch around the whole row. I ended row four on a single crochet. After this, I worked rows of single crochet (21 more to be precise).

My edging was a stripe of single crochet in contrast color followed by a row of half double crochet. That was when I discovered that the whole affair required a bicycle clip style headband to keep it on. I didn't have one, so I ripped back my edging to make a single crochet row followed by a set of twenty chain stitches. I then made my edging in double crochet. I attached a button to the opposite end of the front and to wear, I pulled the strap I made under my chin and button it up.

The Right Side


The Left Side
The Back
Here's the pics of how it came out.

I was wearing it over a tichel. It was pretty comfortable. I wore it outside and it was ok. I think I may line it so that it has more wind resistance. But, for a hat with out any lining it was not too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment