Blurb

Thoughts, lessons, and theology from an eclectic witch from a varied background.

Monday, October 7, 2019

Divination:Major Arcana 13 - Death

Dear Reader,

This week's card is much maligned as a 'bad' card to come up in a reading. The infamous Death card comes from one of my most used decks, The Witches Tarot from Ellen Cannon Reed and Martin Cannon. Of all the decks I own, I think this is my favorite Death card because of how peaceful it is. If you look at the figures surrounding Death, their expressions are neutral to peaceful, as though they were asleep.

Death is not a hostile card. It can actually be a highly beneficial card. It is a card of radical transition and change. It is the card of endings, but endings that lead to new beginnings. When it shows up in a reading very rarely does it indicate a literal death. In a direct orientation, Death speaks of a complete separation from the old and rebirth into the new. In a reversed orientation, Death speaks of a more challenging separation and reversed. It can also indicate a messy ending of a situation.

In the Fool's Journey, Death is the Fool meeting their mortality and progressing from their prior position of ignorance into one of greater enlightenment.

To learn more about this card and the rest of the Tarot deck, consider picking up a copy of my book, The Veiled Witch's Handbook for Psychics: A Practical Guide to Divination and the Psychic Arts.

1 comment:

  1. I accidentally found tarot cards in my home. I shuffled cards. And then I chose one card from the deck. This is the card I chose.

    ReplyDelete