Blurb

Thoughts, lessons, and theology from an eclectic witch from a varied background.

Thursday, October 24, 2019

Why I use the title Lady.

Dear Reader,

If you've read my published works, you will notice that I style myself as a Lady. This is not whimsy or the desire to be aristocracy. Within many Wiccan traditions, Lady is a title given to a fully trained priestess. While this is not a widely accepted practice, it is one upheld in communities that are organized along 'traditional' Wiccan practice as per Gerald Gardner et al. Because my training as a priestess comes along a Wiccan orientation, I use the title Lady to signify that I have completed sufficient training to lead a coven.

Which I did at one point in time and said coven fell apart due to life happening to everyone involved. I do not denote that I am greater than my peers. I do not claim honors that would be due to me if I were somehow royalty. (Though there is a microscopic percentage of a chance that if the Royal Family of England disappeared down to their last number, I could be peerage or possibly Queen.) I treat the title Lady as I would the title Professor, a title earned through education that confers only a modest amount of authority among those who would recognize that title.

After all, not every university in the world is accredited and not every instructor will be recognized by other universities as acceptable for their programs.

Blessings be upon you and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment