Blurb

Thoughts, lessons, and theology from an eclectic witch from a varied background.

Thursday, November 23, 2023

Insomnia is a great motivator to write, really!

 Dear Reader,

As you can probably tell by the time this post was published, I have been up since stupid o' clock. I got my 4 hours of sleep and then the nausea hit me and I am up for the day. I can't tell if this is anxiety, medication side effect, or a migraine aura symptom. All I know is I feel pretty rotten right now. I will do my best to stay up beat and cheerful for you in this post, but I can not promise success. I'm reaching the point of mild sleep deprivation with how bad my sleep has been over the last several weeks. Supposedly the CPAP machine was going to help with that, but it's proving a bigger annoyance than anything else. I'll get used to it eventually, I hope.

Some things that help me fall asleep, aside from the laundry list of medication I take is Celestial Seasoning's Sleepytime tea and Chamomile tea. Celestial Seasoning's Tension Tamer tea is almost as effective as the Sleepytime tea, but not quite. All three are very gentle ways to ease you into a relaxed state and help you get to sleep. They used to work all on their own for me up until three years ago.

I also use meditation to relax my body so that I can sleep. (If only meditation could make my nausea go away. Oh well.) I've tried several different meditations to relax and fall asleep. The most effective one is the one I am about to share with you. I advise you not to do this meditation if you have a full bladder, because the focus on water will make you uncomfortable until you attend to business.

The Pool

Close your eyes. Slow your breathing to an even pace (Square Breathing is great for this.) and envision a large pool of water for you. A pool of water deep enough and large enough you could swim in if you wanted.

Step into the edge of the pool. Feel the water's soothing warmth and the waves gently lapping at your ankles. As you stand there, you can feel the sandy bottom of the pool cradle your tired feet. Your feet relax and the tension melts into the water. Step forward one pace. Now the warm, soothing water comes to your knees. The aches and tension in your calves eases out into the water. Your knees feel comfortable, if not cozy in this warm water. 

Step forward a second pace into the pool. Look down and see the way the crystal clean and pure water lets you look at how the sand swirls with your footstep, gently caressing the top of your foot as it settles. The water is now up to your hips. The tension and tiredness of your thighs relaxes as your hips release their tension from carrying you through the day.

Step forward a third pace into the pool. The water is deeper here and comes up to your chest. As the waves slowly and gently roll against your skin, the stress and tension melts out of your stomach and chest, like it is carried away by the waves rolling away from you.

Lean back into the pool. Feel the water cradle you as you float on the surface effortlessly. The tension in your arms, back, and shoulders slips away from you as though it is settling in the sand. Your neck relaxes and your scalp releases the stress you've been carrying there through the day.

Float on the surface of the pool and breath deeply, slowly, and comfortably. As intrusive thoughts rise up like bubbles, watch them float away from you, leaving you at peace. Focus on the feelings of comfort, peace, and warmth as your entire body relaxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment