Blurb

Thoughts, lessons, and theology from an eclectic witch from a varied background.

Thursday, July 9, 2020

July for Loki: Post No. 5 - Giving Gifts

Dear Reader,

Gift giving is a big thing in the Norse culture, especially in the ancient culture. The words of wisdom attributed to Odin warns one is better off refusing a gift if they can not give one in return that it at least equal in weight, lest they be in debt to the giver. (Havamal, line 144) I give gifts daily to Loki and the other gods. In the morning, I put a cup of coffee on the altar for them. When events happen that bear his hand prints, such as strangely good fortune, I offer him alcohol. I've given him the gift of poetry. I've given him the gift of charitable donations made in his name. I've given Loki many gifts over the years.

In return, he has given many as well. He has brought myself and my family good fortune. He has warned us of danger and turned away disaster. For all the fickleness of his sense of humor, Loki has been a true and loyal care giver to myself and my family. Strange things may happen, like when my husband's lucky coin vanished for a week to reappear (after laundry had been done and many trips about had happened) in the exact zippered pocket he keeps it in. Loki is a friend of my family in ways that many people don't think a god can be.

That is because they have forgotten or were never taught that a gift freely given is a blessing and will be answered with an equal gift in due time. Loki has his days where he's grumpy and he's not "happy-fun-ball" Loki. But everyone has those days. When I can tell that his day is not going well, I try to give a little extra kindness to show that I love and support him just as he loves and supports me. I'm not sure how big of an influence it is on his day. He is a god who has a lot on his place as being an elemental force of reality ensouled. But, I try to bring him as much humor and care as he has brought me.

No comments:

Post a Comment