Blurb

Thoughts, lessons, and theology from an eclectic witch from a varied background.

Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Herbalism, Tools & Treasures: The Athame

The athame (pronounced ah-tha-me) is a ritual knife used in most traditions of Wicca. It is often double edged, though the edges are usually blunted. Some say that they must have a black handle but in my experience, I've seen and used athames that have a single edge and handles of just about any manner of variety.

The one I am holding in the picture to the right has been my working athame for over twenty years. Unlike others, I keep mine sharp. (Remember basic knife safety: a sharp knife is a safe knife and always keep the blade pointed away from your body. Blunt knives are dangerous because they tear rather than cut and will make wounds that are harder to stitch closed.) This is a relative inexpensive knife but I am rather fond of it. It is made of steel and the place of manufacture is Pakistan. The cross guard and the pommel are brass. The grip is stained to look like walnut. I'm not entirely sure what sort of wood it is.

The athame is used in the same manner as a wand. It can also be used to ritually cut things (which is part of the reason why I keep mine sharp) and inscribe candles for candle magic. The athame is an important part of the Great Rite* portion of Wiccan liturgy. It represents the phallus of the God, as I mentioned in a previous post. The athame is also used in the same manner as a ritual sword, for warding and magical defense.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

* A post discussing the Great Rite is planned. Links will be corrected at the time it is posted.


No comments:

Post a Comment