Blurb

Thoughts, lessons, and theology from an eclectic witch from a varied background.

Monday, October 29, 2018

Quiet time: Is it just for Christians? (Spoiler, it's not!)

Dear Reader,

Modern Christians attempt to dedicate a part of their day to prayer and contemplation. They call this 'quiet time'. Some journal their experiences. Some pray their version of the rosary. Others engage in reading of their holy scriptures. Most commonly, this is found in the Evangelical Christian community as a morning discipline for communing with their god.

Daily prayer is something that most of any faith would benefit from. For those of the Filianic/Déanic faith traditions, daily prayer is very helpful because it bolsters our spiritual strength in a world where we are in the stark minority. Quiet time for contemplation and communion is beneficial for many reasons. This time should not be used for prayers of contrition and penance. Nor is it a time that should be for prayers of petition beyond that of guidance.

Quiet time is a meditative period that can be of any length of time focused upon opening oneself to Dea's guidance and simply being in her presence. I personally keep a prayer journal. I spend my quiet time meditating upon Dea and simply listening for guidance for my day. I then spend a bit of time writing a few lines about my prayer session. More often than not, I write a 'letter' to Dea about my concerns and what came to me as I had my quiet time with her.

I know people of a wide range of religious paths. Almost all of them spend some 'quiet time' with their gods. In almost all cases, this has been reported to be something that brings them a greater sense of peace and union with their gods. It has also been said to be a cherished part of their day that helps them be a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment