Blurb

Thoughts, lessons, and theology from an eclectic witch from a varied background.

Friday, October 16, 2015

I Recommend This: Items edition.

I don't have a lot of ritual tools. What I have, however, has been collected over the years with an emphasis upon making sure they are multipurpose. My ritual tools are well suited to both kitchen witchery and stealth witchery. Because, at various points in my life, I had to hide my practice. It wasn't fun, but I found ways to work around the problems that came up.

I have a wooden spoon (it is actually my favorite one) that I use as a wand when I'm practicing magic in the kitchen. I also have used my favorite wooden crochet hook as a wand as well. (Yes, I include a little magic into the things I make.) I have also used my favorite pen as a wand in the past. (Super effective for a college student, actually.)

I have an herb cutting knife that I also use as my ritual knife. It gets used to help me harvest herbs off of my plants, trim stuff that needs trimmed, and, at one point, as a kitchen knife. (Obviously, I was the thing and I keep it very sharp.) I have used it in ritual for pretty much everything you'd use a ritual knife for. I have also used a letter opener for a ritual knife. Not as effective as my herb knife, but it works. And, I have used a pocket knife for a ritual knife. It worked out really well until the knife began to have age related problems. (It was a folding knife that didn't stay open after a while.) And, lastly, I have used an arrowhead as a ritual knife. It may not look as pretty or impressive as the others, but it is still really effective. (Depending on the stone and the magic you're doing, it can be more effective, i.e. using an obsidion arrowhead for fire magic works REALLY well.)

Any sort of open container can be used for a ritual chalice. (Yes, that means a beer can, if you're going to redneck it up.) I have used shells, stones with a small dip in them, drinking glasses, clay bowls, goblets, and (once) a bottle cap. Super small ritual chalices are a bit hard to work with, but they can be effective. I'm sure with a little ingenuity and effort, some one could find away to make a Barbie doll glass work for this. (If you do, I want to hear about it because it sounds really interesting.)

Any container that you use for a ritual chalice can double for a cauldron in many cases. You can also use your cook pots for this purpose. (Which is what a cauldron was used for back in the old days.) Be careful that you clean out the stuff that isn't safe for consumption if you are using your cooking pots or dedicate just one for the purpose. I have a soup pot that I use, just make sure that pot has a heavy base to it. Something like heavy weight steel or cast iron are good options because they can stand up better to open flame than something like copper clad steel (Revereware) or aluminum. (99.9% of the spells I do using a cauldron are all involving food safe elements.)

A paten is a ritual plate. Pretty much any small flat surface can be used as one. I've used everything from a small flat stone (it was a fairy focused ritual) to one of my kitchen plates to a pot holder for this purpose. Yes, paper plates can be an effective tool. So can a dish that you set plants in. A piece of paper really doesn't work well (though it is an option in theory) because it generally isn't sturdy enough to hold stuff up. But you could use a bit of cardboard.

You can find ritual tools anywhere. Just look around and be creative. And the creativity is a good thing because it lends a bit more of your energy to your magic. Also, be practical when ever you are doing something that would involve food and the consumption there of. You don't want to use a pewter bowl for something you're going to eat because of the lead content, for example.

Have a beautiful day, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment